Project Scotland

Evidence of faults in all 17 closed Edinburgh schools

DSC_8630

THE City of Edinburgh Council has confirmed there is evidence of faults in all 17 schools closed last week over safety concerns.

Council Leader Andrew Burns said affected schools will remain closed until Edinburgh Schools Partnership can assure their safety.

“Yesterday evening (Wednesday April 13), the Council received early indications that suggest evidence of faults across all 17 affected schools to a varying extent,” he said. “At the moment it is too early to say what the impact will be as full survey results from Edinburgh Schools Partnership have not been yet been received. Some faults may be easy to fix and may not present a major problem while others could be longer term.

“We will provide parents with further information on the impact of individual school surveys once the full reports are received and assessed.

“What is certain is that we won’t take risks with the safety of our schools children and schools won’t reopen until Edinburgh Schools Partnership can assure us of their safety.  As part of the contract, Edinburgh Schools Partnership own, maintain and assure the safety of the affected buildings.

“We will publish further information on individual school surveys when these are formally received and of course provide an update to parents on their individual schools and the remediation works required.”

The Council said alternative arrangements have been put in place for 5,900 pupils and the programme of structural surveys arranged by the Edinburgh Schools Partnership is continuing.

The 17 schools, which were built under the PPP1 scheme, were closed following the discovery of structural defects.

Share this article

Related Posts