THE Scotland and Northern Ireland Plumbing Employers’ Federation (SNIPEF) has honoured the industry’s rising stars at the Best Apprentice Plumber awards.
The trade association rewarded 13 apprentices from the 12 colleges in Scotland in which they study. Each one received a £100 value voucher.
SNIPEF said the awards come at a time when plumbing and heating is increasingly being seen as a ‘pathway to a rewarding and satisfying working life’, as well as providing the opportunity to make a contribution to environmental challenges.
Fiona Hodgson, chief executive of SNIPEF, said, “The industry has always been very aware that its future lies in the skill and dedication of the people who are embarking on their careers at this turbulent time. It is extremely heartening that the sector, which was so badly hit by the shutdowns and subsequent restrictions of 2020, has built its apprenticeship numbers back up to where they were before the pandemic struck.
“This is a great tribute to employers in particular, for the faith they have demonstrated in our people, but also to the apprentices themselves, the colleges which nurture their ambitions and the organisations such as SNIPEF which wholeheartedly support them.”
Dale Thomson, apprentice training manager for SNIPEF, added, “The plumbing and heating industry is open to all regardless of age, gender or ethnic origin. And, unlike a university further education, for which people may have to take out student loans, a plumbing apprenticeship offers the opportunity to gain a nationally recognised qualification and for apprentices to earn while they learn.”
Those honoured by their respective colleges this year include:
- Forth Valley College. Winner: Kevin Bryce, second year, H F Electrical Ltd.
- Tullos Training Ltd. Winner: Dylan Faskin, second year, MFS Plumbing & Heating.
- Moray College. Winner: Ben Middleton, second year, W&M Stuart Ltd.
- Glasgow Clyde College. Winner: Craig Brown, second year, Ultimate Gas & Plumbing Services Ltd.
- Dundee and Angus College. Winner: Declan Menmuir, first year, WH Dorward Ltd.
- Borders College. Winner: Mark Rutter, second year, Border Eco Systems.
- Dumfries and Galloway College. Winner: Bayley McKinnon, second year, Nithsdale Plumbing and Heating.
- Glasgow Kelvin College. First year winner: Aiden McLaughlin, Glasgow City Plumbers Ltd. Second year winner: Dylan Burns, T Clarke Contracting Ltd.
- Perth College UHI. Winner: Euan Lang, second year, Andrew Anderson Plumbing and Heating.
- South Lanarkshire College. Winner: Dominic McCauley, first year, R Boyle Gas & Plumbing Services.
- Inverness UHI. Winner: Uisdean Reid, first year, Alex Matheson Plumbing and Heating, Stornoway.
- West College Scotland Greenock. Winner: Chris Cook, second year, Hugh Kinnaird.