THE principal contractor in the £350 million expansion of Aberdeen harbour has withdrawn from the project.
The news comes after the Aberdeen Harbour Board confirmed last week (June 4) that it was in talks with Dragados about the ‘best way to move forward’ following Covid-19 halting work. The Spanish firm has now confirmed it is to withdraw from the project.
A spokesperson from Dragados said, “Dragados UK is proud of the progress achieved with this project but the Covid-19 emergency and other factors have meant that our involvement in the project has ended earlier than originally anticipated. We wish the project every success as it progresses towards completion.”
Michelle Handforth, chief executive of the Aberdeen Harbour Board said, “This year’s summer season was of critical importance to the Aberdeen Harbour expansion project, as we endeavoured to complete a series of major construction milestones and continued to address the rock removal challenges first identified in October last year. The interruption to the schedule as a result of the Covid-19 emergency has had the effect of greatly compounding those existing challenges. It is too early at this stage to confirm what impact this will have on the construction timeline, especially given current Covid-19 restrictions, but the intention for a phased opening, when safe to do so, remains unaffected.”
The board announced last week that a contractor was being sought to complete an estimated £15 million worth of works at the site.