ONE of Edinburgh’s most famous streets is set to be ‘significantly revitalised’ by a range of retail businesses due to open their doors in the coming months.
Drum Property Group has unveiled a host of new tenants for its refurbished ‘Red Sandstone’ building on Leith Walk. Following a major redevelopment project, the two-storey building, first completed in 1933 in the Scottish Art Deco style, now provides space for up to ten ground floor retail units, together with a range of open-plan first-floor business suites overlooking the foot of Leith Walk.
New retail tenants include Hobz Bakery, Cornelius Wines, vintage clothing store Rhinestone Cowboys, Chorrito Sauce Company, and Design Eat Repeat, a design store and gallery space. They join Leith Depot, a bar, restaurant and music venue which has been based at the location since 2015 and has recently signed a new lease expanding the venue.
Known simply as ‘The Red Sandstone’, the building forms a gateway to Drum’s £50 million transformation of the 2.9-acre Stead’s Place site, which will bring 148 new homes to the rear of the development.
Graeme Bone, Drum Group’s MD, said, “The Red Sandstone, as a distinctive entry point for our new development, will provide both a new focus and destination for the foot of Leith Walk. And with more tenant and business announcements to be made shortly, the eclectic mix of occupiers attracted to the building will bring something a little different to the city centre, continuing the rich tradition of diversity and independence which makes this area such an exciting destination in which to live, work and visit.”