TERMS have been agreed between the partners involved in the £40.9 million build of the new Boclair Academy in Bearsden.
The agreement was reached between East Dunbartonshire Council and contractor Wates/McLaughlin & Harvey. The project is being delivered via the SCAPE Construction Framework.
The new Boclair Academy will be built within the grounds of the existing school building on Inveroran Drive, with the current school building being demolished upon its completion. Pupils will continue to attend the existing building for the duration of the construction phase.
East Dunbartonshire Council said that it expects building works to be completed by summer 2022, with the landscaping and demolition of the current building set for completion by summer 2023.
Joint Council leader, Andrew Polson, said, “This step forward in the construction of a new Boclair Academy is extremely welcome news, amidst what is undoubtedly a very difficult time for everyone. Despite the uncertainties surrounding restrictions to manage the Covid-19 pandemic, it is great to hear that under the current regulations the construction phase will soon be underway.”
Joint Council Leader Vaughn Moody added, “These are exciting times for the Boclair Academy school community who are looking forward to learning and working in a state-of-the-art new building. Working alongside our partners SCAPE and Wates/McLaughlin Harvey Construction Limited, we are moving ever closer towards a fabulous new school fit for the challenges of modern learning.”
The local authority is working with a number of partners to deliver the new Boclair Academy. They are:
- The procurement framework used for the design and delivery of the new building through its supply chain. SCAPE is a public private joint venture organisation established to develop and deliver value for money property solutions for its public sector partners.
- Wates Construction Limited: The main contractor, appointed through SCAPE, to construct the new school.
- McLaughlin & Harvey Construction Limited: sub-contractor appointed by Wates Construction Limited to complete the whole works.
- Ryder Architecture: The architecture firm, appointed through SCAPE, to design the new school.
- Doig & Smith: the Council’s project manager and independent cost consultant.
- Curtins: the civil and structural engineer for the project.
- Hawthorne Boyle: the mechanical and electrical engineer for the project.