GLASGOW’S Mackintosh at the Willow has been named ‘Project of the Year’ at the RICS Awards 2019, Scotland.
The project restored the Willow Tearooms at 217 Sauchiehall Street to Charles Rennie Macintosh’s 1903 design, with judges noting that the ‘carefully executed and detailed’ restoration supported additional benefits such as local employment opportunities and the creation of a museum, learning centre and events venue.
The project team comprised Willow Tea Rooms Trust, Doig & Smith, Simpson & Brown and Clark Contracts.
Chair of the judging panel for the RICS Awards, Scotland, Colin Smith MRICS commented, “Great care and attention to detail was taken during this restoration. Additionally, a Trust was established to manage the building and the £10 million used to restore it internally and externally has also been utilised to provide wider long-term community benefits.
“A diverse range of innovative projects, of all sizes and budgets, made the shortlist this year and the winners are truly representative of Scotland’s best and most innovative built projects that are having a significant positive impact on their communities. The teams behind these winning projects should be very proud of their exceptional achievements.”
Other winners on the night included The Garment Factory, Glasgow (Commercial); the V&A Dundee (Tourism & Leisure); and Music Hall Transformation, Aberdeen (Community Benefit).
Full list of winners from RICS Awards 2019, Scotland:
- Building Conservation – Mackintosh at the Willow, Glasgow
- Commercial – The Garment Factory, Glasgow
- Community Benefit – Music Hall Transformation, Aberdeen
- Design through Innovation – The Macallan Distillery and Visitor Experience, Charlestown of Aberlour
- Infrastructure – Queensferry Crossing, Edinburgh
- Regeneration – West Dunbartonshire Council Dumbarton Office, Dumbarton
- Residential – The Playfair at Donaldson’s, Edinburgh
- Tourism & Leisure – V&A Dundee, Dundee
All category winners will now go on to compete against other regional winners at the national RICS Awards, Final in October for the chance to be crowed the overall UK winner in their respective category.